Chili Cook Off
CHILI COOK OFF 2019
This contest is sponsored by the Titus County Fair Association and benefits the Mount Pleasant Lions Club. The Cook Off will be held in front of the Titus County Civic Center on Saturday, September 28, 2019. After judging samples have been taken, contestants’ chili will be for sale to ticket holders ($5 per ticket), starting at 5 p.m. The $5 ticket includes chili, drink and dessert. Winners will be announced in front of Civic Center at 6:00 p.m.
CHILI COOK OFF IS AN OPEN COMPETITION, not limited to residents of Titus County.
1. Contestants must cook the chili at the fairgrounds using a large pot over a fire contained to prevent any damage to grass. Contestants must supply their own pot (at least 5 gallons, but not limited to 5 gallons) and heat source (non-electrical). Contestants will be responsible for furnishing their own ingredients.
Prior to Saturday of Cook Off: Ingredients may be sliced, measured, etc. but not cooked.
2. Chili must begin with RAW ingredients.
3. Chilis MUST be cooked on site the day of the event.
3. Cooking is Not permitted in an enclosed trailer or kitchen. Chili must be prepared out in the open as sanitary as possible.
4. Commercial Chili Mixes are NOT permitted.
5. Absolutely NO outside bowls are allowed. Chili is NOT to be dispensed to any one other than your team.
6. Chili must NOT be dispensed to guests until 5:00 p.m. Each guest will have a wristband and their own bowl.
7. Each campsite will be marked with a number. This is for voting purposes…do NOT move your campsite or trade with another contestant.
8. Campsite may be set up anytime after 6:00 p.m. Friday, September 27th.
9. Contestants must have at least five (5) gallons (but not limited to) of finished chili available for sale. Recipes will be initialed and size of container and stew ingredients MUST BE APPROVED by Fair Officials before cooking begins, no exceptions. NO alcoholic containers full or empty allowed.
10. Chili must be ready for judging at 4:00 p.m. Contestants will supply 1 pint of chili for judging (pint jars to be provided). Judging and sale will begin at 5:00 p.m. The chili will be judged on five criteria: Aroma, Appearance, Consistency, Taste, After Taste. The judging will be “blind judging.”
11. First Place will receive $500.00. Second Place will receive $200.00. Third Place will receive $100.00. All winners will receive rosette ribbons.
12. Campsites will be a minimum of 12’ x 12’, depending on number of teams.
13. A contestant is construed to mean the 'cooking team' and may include up to two cooks and up to two helpers. Contestants: Please arrange for your own sponsors. Contestant provides $25.00 with Official entry form. Contestants are responsible for ingredients and campsite preparation. (The $25.00 is retained by the Fair Association for contest expenses (ribbons, printing, advertising, etc.).
14. The Fair Association will have helpers available for questions, directions, tickets, etc. Contestants will be expected to remain with their chili to serve ticket holders until 8:00 p.m.
15. Entries will be limited to a minimum of 10 teams, but maximum of 28 entries. Official entry form and entry fee will be accepted until 6:00 p.m. September 20, 2019. (Official entry form may be found on this website or at Clemens Insurance). There will be a contestant’s information meeting Friday, September 20, 2019, 6:00 p.m. at the Titus County Fair office, 102 Alabama, Mt. Pleasant. At least one team representative should be present. Purpose for the meeting is to draw for cook sites, and go over rules. If not present, site will be assigned.
16. Due to limited space, no vehicles will be allowed to enter the cook site.
17. A minimum of one team member must be present at campsite at all times. Camp breaking will begin at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, not before.
12. Please have recipes written or typed to turn in to chairman.
13. Winning recipes are the property of the Titus County Fair Association. Official entry form should be mailed to Titus County Fair Chili Cook Off, P.O. Box 1232, Mt. Pleasant, Texas 75456-1232.
14. The contest ($500) winner is NOT eligible to enter this contest the year following their win. They will be eligible to enter the second year following their win. (Ex: The 2018 Contest Winner may not enter this contest in 2019. They may enter again in the 2020 contest.)
15. Rain out possible.