Chili Cook Off
This contest is sponsored by the Titus County Fair Association and will be held in front of he Titus County Civic Center on Saturday, September 29, 2018. After judging samples have been taken, contestants’ chili will be for sale to ticket holders ($5 per ticket), starting at 11 a.m. The $5 ticket includes chili, drink and dessert. Winners will be announced in front of Civic Center at 1:00 p.m.
CHILI COOK OFF IS AN OPEN COMPETITION, not limited to residents of Titus County.
1. Contestants must cook the chili at the fairgrounds using a large pot over a fire contained to prevent any damage to grass. Contestants must supply their own pot (at least 5 gallons, but not limited to 5 gallons) and heat source (non-electrical). Contestants will be responsible for furnishing their own ingredients.
Prior to Saturday Morning: Ingredients may be sliced, measured, etc. but not cooked.
NO alcoholic containers full or empty allowed.
2. Campsite may be set up anytime between 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm Friday, September 28th.
3. Contestants must have at least five (5) gallons (but not limited to) of finished chili available for sale. Recipes will be initialed, size of container and stew ingredients MUST BE APPROVED by Fair Official before cooking begins, no exceptions.
4. Chili must be ready for judging at 10:30 a.m. Contestants will supply 1 pint of chili for judging (pint jars to be provided). Judging and sale will begin at 11:00 AM. The chili will be judged on five criteria: Aroma, Appearance, Consistency, Taste, After Taste. The judging will be “blind judging”.
5. First Place will receive $400.00. Second Place will receive $200.00. Third Place will receive $100.00. All winners will receive rosette ribbons.
6. Campsites will be a minimum of 12’ x 12’, depending on number of teams.
7. A contestant is construed to mean the 'cooking team' and may include up to two cooks and up to two helpers. Contestants: Please arrange for your own sponsors. Contestant provides $25.00 with Official entry form. Contestants are responsible for ingredients and campsite preparation. (The $25.00 is retained by the Fair Association for contest expenses (ribbons, printing, advertising, etc.).
8. The Fair Association will have helpers available for non-cooking chores, questions, directions, tickets, etc. Contestants will be expected to remain with their chili to serve ticket holders until 2:00 PM.
9. Entries will be limited to a minimum of 10 teams, but maximum of 28 entries. Official entry form and entry fee will be accepted until 6:00 PM September 27, 2018. (Official entry form may be found on this website or at Clemens Insurance). There will be a contestant’s information meeting Friday, September 21, 2018, 6:00 p.m. at the Titus County Fair office, 102 Alabama, Mt. Pleasant. At least one team representative should be present. Purpose for the meeting is to draw for cook sites, and go over rules. If not present, site will be assigned.
10. Due to limited space, no vehicles will be allowed to remain on cook site. Unload vehicle then park in fair parking lot.
11. A minimum of one team member must be present at campsite at all times. Camp breaking will begin at 2:00 PM on Saturday, not before.
12. Please have recipes written or typed to turn in to chairman.
13. Winning recipes are the property of the Titus County Fair Association. Official entry form should be mailed to Titus County Fair Stew Challenge, P.O. Box 1232, Mt. Pleasant, Texas 75456-1232.
14. The contest ($400) winner is NOT eligible to enter this contest the year following their win. They will be eligible to enter the second year following their win. (Ex: The 2017 Contest Winner may not enter this contest in 2018. They may enter again in the 2019 contest.)
15. Rain out possible.